The FCT and the Information and Communication Technologies Institute (ICTI), in the framework of the Carnegie Mellon Portugal Program is calling applications for 6 PhD Scholarships, taking place in Portugal and at the Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). These scholarships are open for the academic year 2019-2020.
Foundation for National Scientific Computation is the Portuguese public agency that supports science, technology and innovation, in all scientific domains, under responsibility of the Ministry for Science, Technology and Higher Education. FCT’s mission is to continuously promote the advancement of knowledge in science and technology in Portugal, attain the highest international standards in quality and competitiveness, in all scientific and technological domains, and encourage its dissemination and contribution to society and to economic growth.
- Applications Deadline: December 31, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: In the framework of the Carnegie Mellon Portugal Program (CMU Portugal), Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) opens a call for applications for six (6) Ph.D. Scholarships, taking place in Portugal and at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in the framework of the CMU Portugal Dual Degree Ph.D. Programs in the following fields:
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering and Public Policy
- Language Technologies
- Software Engineering
- Scholarship Award: The monthly stipend will be 993, 43 € while in Portugal. The stipend and any expenses related to voluntary social security contributions (1st step) will be paid through bank transfer on a monthly basis.
- Nationality: These scholarships are available for Portuguese citizens, citizens of other European Union member states, and third-country nationals.
- Number of Scholarships: Six scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Portugal and at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: These scholarships are available for Portuguese citizens, citizens of other European Union member states, and third-country nationals.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Pursuant to Article 5 in conjunction with article 14 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of FCT, Portuguese citizens, citizens of other European Union member states, and third-country nationals holding the academic degree required to enroll in a Ph. D. program, in accordance with the procedures adopted by Carnegie Mellon University, may apply to this call, taking into account the research areas specified by the CMU Portugal Program available in the CMU Portugal website. Citizens who already have previously received an identical type of FCT-funded fellowship, for the same purpose, are not eligible for this call. The Ph.D. candidate’s application should satisfy the requirements established in Article 16 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of FCT, in accordance with the procedures adopted by Carnegie Mellon University.
Research areas available for Ph. D. Scholarships, as well as the supervisors at both CMU and Portugal, are defined by the CMU Portugal Program. Hence, candidates do not need to present a work program or an adviser’s support letter and CV at the time of application. However, candidates are required to present a CV, recommendation letters, and a motivation letter where they should justify the reasons for applying to one of these programs and their research topics selection. The candidates should also present a certificate with an official transcript for each higher education degree. The Scholarship will only be granted if the candidates are accepted by CMU and by one of the Portuguese Universities within one of the Ph. D. programs.
English Language Requirements: Evaluation is essentially based on the merit and motivation of the applicant. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate good fluency and writing skills in English.
How to Apply: The applications should be submitted online through the website of each dual degree Ph. D. program at Carnegie Mellon University. To apply and to know in detail all the information required for each Ph.D. please visit the CMU Portugal Program website at “Admissions and Scholarships”.